R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya TB-03
Thread: Tamiya TB-03
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2009, 04:27 PM
DragonDrop
Tech Rookie

I just got the 3Racing CF chassis yesterday for my TB-03. It's pretty sweet. The chassis comes with a completely redesigned steering assembly. Also it comes with a metal motor mount. I already had the hopped Tamiya steering assembly and aluminium motor mount (both of which are better than the ones that come with cf chassis) but those can't be used with the 3Racing CF chassis. No biggie I'll just throw them on my TB-03D chassis. Everything fits pretty well except for a couple of design bugs. Because the new steering assembly is so tight there is a little interference on the turnbuckles if you try to turn when the front arms up (shocks compressed) or if you set up with too much droop. To fix this I had to screw the ball joint in on the front axle upside down which lowers the turnbuckles giving more clearance. Also because of the new steering assembly the servo is mounted 90deg counter clockwise from the stock chassis. With the hopped servo mounts the servo won't clear the steering linkage (by a few mm). I fixed this by reversing the mounts and pushing the servo more towards the side. but now the servo hangs about 1/2" off the side of the CF chassis. Now its a low profile servo so if you had a full size servo it would really be hanging off. I'm gonna try and find a smaller servo mount or just make my own with a small aluminium block and screw tap. Another thing that kinda sucks is that the Spur gear and pinion are now exposed. No bigge but it was nice on the stock chassis when I didn't have to worry about little pebbles getting in there. Oh one more thing they forgot one thing in the box. The angled ESC mount is missing. No biggie as I could just make one on my RP machine, or go without it, but it still sucks that it was not in there since I paid for it. Considering the problems that arised and the fact that I'm missing a part I'd give the CF chassis a B- so far... I haven't run it yet so I couldn't tell you if it is any better. I'm especially curious to see if the new steering assembly makes it better or worse. BTW with the hops and the cf chassis it doesn't look like a TB-03 anymore. If I posted a pic and called it a TRF-418 I could probably fool a few people!

You guys don't want to see any pics, do you?