R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - MurfDogg Motor Works Discussion thread
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2009, 02:41 PM
jasons36
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The MurfDogg
My theory, is that timing should be added through either the motor or the speed control. NEVER BOTH!

Our motor have adjustable timing in 10 degree increments. They can be set to 0-10-20 degrees of timing advance. Where should the timing be set? That depends on the individual motor and what it likes in particular. All our motors are dyno tuned, to see what timing setting yields maximum power. Sometimes it is 0 degrees, but the majority of our motors run best with 10 or 20 degrees. If you want to play with timing, figure out if your motor and speedo has a timing adjustment, then figure out which one you choose to use first.

Using our motors, I highly recommend(beg you) to run the Speed Controls throttle settings at the linear/smooth setting, with 0* timing advance, and let the motor timing do its thing. In our extensive testing, this yields the best results, having great power, and running cooler and longer.

Using Novak, LRP, Hacker, Orion, and Speed Passion motors, I recommend setting the motor timing to 0* advance, and use your speed control to advance your timing about 10* to start. Run 5 minutes and check motor temp. Should be 140-160, If hotter, you should drop one tooth for every 20 degrees higher than 160. Rotors do not like heat excess of 180*F. Heat will kill your rotor. If you need more top speed, advance the timing another 10* and lower your pinion one tooth.

Timing is a complex, tricky "adjustment", that can get you lost in no time.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask away.

Matt Murphy
MurfDogg Motor Works
Its funny you say that. Not too long ago i picked up a tekin rs/17.5 combo and they recommend a combo of timing on the can and thru the esc. Im real happy with the motor/esc right now but after reading these forums and talking to our mutual buddy Joey Olson i kind of want to try one of yours.

What are your FDR recommendations for a 17.5 in a B4 and T4?