R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2009, 10:37 AM
John St.Amant
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tremor24
Ignore basic physics, and it seems to reveal ignorance. A simple image would be an inverse parabola, there is a optimal point where the camber will raise traction, but any number less (or or greater) will be less than optimal.
e.g. I ran 2 degrees camber and had LESS traction than 1, those aren't extreme numbers, it just wasn't the right setting for the track/conditions/camber gain etc. The tire contact was inadequate, only the inside third wore; less camber and it was hooked up again. You may be running a couple degrees, then go to my track and say "I need more traction, I must reduce the camber". It's great that on your track your results support your hypothesis, but why would you inform other racers as it being factual, and mislead them?
This thread is very amusing though.
So you went into a corner and the chassis rolled and then you had less grip.
I would say then your roll centers are incorrectly adjusted .
Sounds to me you are losing camber during cornering (more positive) instead of gaining it(more negative). As the chassis rolls the camber needs to pull the top of the wheel in so the tire can remain in full contact with the ground and never lift the inside lip of the rim from the ground.
Look fellas.... Hold your car in one hand by the back, straighten your steering and place the front tires on the table. Then apply rotation to the chassis like a pendulum and watch the camber and how its effected. This is whats happening during cornering. Turn it around and do the same. One of the reason we try to keep the roll centers close to one another is so that while cornering and the chassis actually rolls, we want the same amount of camber gain on both ends so we don't upset the balance of the car.
If you do not have enough camber gain lets say in the rear , most likely your car will spin out mid-corner. The front had more camber (more grip) therefor the car spins out ..... nuff said ... change the subject!