R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2009, 09:34 AM
John St.Amant
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TryHard
John,
You really should read and understand the posts better...Tony nowhere actually said that running -20 camber would actually be feasable, we could't actually achieve such a setting on the car for starters! What he's doing is very simplying using engineering principles to demonstrate the point, by taking an extreme example and showing what would happen with that. Being an engineer myself, it's very easy to spot that.

Your really trying to discuss three things;
Roll centre
Static camber
Camber gain

Now static roll centre position does have an influence on camber gain, as the link posiitions are used to calculate it. Changing your camber gain settings WILL alter your roll centre position. There are no two ways about it, as they both rely on the link angles. Static camber will not however influence roll centre, so the two can be considered mutually exclusive.
Now I mentioned before, the calculator is a guide, nothing more. Its there to give a comparison on settings, mainly as it only calculates the STATIC position only. There's no way I have the time to make one up to calculate the dynamic roll centre.

Your doing the same thing you did before with the flex topic... Trying to compare the real world with the small world, and completely forgetting about scale effects. You mention about audi's and subaru's in a previous post, but I very much doubt any of them would be able to top out at over 300mph, let alone corner at that speed.... Something else to bear in mind is that link positions are a lot easier to change on our cars, as we don't have to redisgning mounting points etc.
Instead of bagging the change as pointless, think of it as another weapon in the arsenal. I guarantee you'll feel a huge difference to the car.

Ed
Yeah I know .... I have a 416WE and a 415MSXX and did a comparison. Guess what ... there was NO DIFFERENCE! But no one wants to listen to me ... I was right on that instance too. THEY WERE BOTH THE SAME! I almost broke a car proving it to myself and kept the results to myself cause every one would just argue with me. One piece or two was the only difference....

As for scale speed , that is for entertainment purposes only.
Real world situations work perfectly in scale or F1 teams wouldn't do mock ups in wind tunnels in 5/8th scale. Want to argue about it again?