R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Kyosho GXR-28
Thread: Kyosho GXR-28
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009, 01:52 PM
Kyo83
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by boatsnhoes
Obviously the guy BS'd me about how much it had been run, and it is pretty much toast. My questions are:

Is this engine fixable? I mean, new crank (or can I polish it up with emory cloth or super fine sand paper) New piston/sleeve (or should I send it off for a re-pinch/whatever they do to them) Rod? (looks ok, nothing obvious anyway) Bearings?

Or

Is the GXR-28 not a good powerplant? Should I invest in something better?

I am obviously trying to keep costs down as I already paid to much for the thing to begin with ($315, doh!) and I am also considering just cutting my losses and selling it as is. The truck looks killer, but is obviously an entry level vehicle as the components on it are pretty cheap. Give me some opinions on what you guys would do in my shoes. Thanks!
Fast answer: yes, no, and get something else

Long answer: The motor had serious issue in terms of quality parts. The bearing in the motor were crap and and so were the O-rings in the carburator. That was how Kyosho cut cost to keep price low. It sounds like the damage is done!

Unless you know someone that is good with a dremmel, knows alot about nitro engines, and will work for peanuts, then you'd be better off getting new enging (not Kyosho..mind you) The money spent to repair it ($150-200)could get you a quality buggy engine to bash around with. If you want race competetively or be the fastes kid on the block then you're gonna have to come up with more duckets(cash)$300+)The new GXR-28sg fixed alot of the previous problems but is more geared to on-road. Check the Want To Buy section here on the forum or head over to the engine section at www.amainhobbies.com

Hope this helps