R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009, 08:02 AM
tonyv
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John St.Amant
Whoa whoa man... -20? Are you insane? No one would EVER need more than -4 or -5 maximum, EVER!!! Lets not get carried away here okay.
I am not getting carried away, I am doing what any engineer would do to show that something is not linear, go to the extremes. With RC cars -4 or -5 will still in almost all situations result in less, not more grip. So stating that to get more grip you would allways need to add camber (change) is quite simply incorrect.

There is a reason the standard (rubber tyre) setups usually have -1.5 degrees of static camber. This works best in general. In general meaning that in some cases less static camber works better and in some cases more static camber works better assuming no change is made to camber change.

I am all for keeping things simple. But if a "rule of thumb" is just as likely to have the wrong result as it is to give the right result I don't consider that simple at all. It means that relative newbies get frustrated because they cannot get things to work and cannot understand why they get less grip where they think they should be getting more.