R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Yokomo MR-4 TC Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2001, 09:06 PM
Dave Kurschner
Tech Adept

Thumbs up Setup

Speedo, hi. Currently our club is running Stock until mid-September so I've been dialing in Stock. Firstly, I'll answer your tire question. Being as I had to wait a while to get some of my Yokomo stuff, I started on my setup using Sorrex Tires and even tried some not-too-worn Pit tires. After finding a good setup, I mounted up 139G's and there is NO Question that these are the tire to beat on carpet right now. The 139G's maintain a smooth traction yet they are capable of holding higher side bite than the Sorrex tire. I've been told by the team manager that the 139GS's are the way to go, but I'm so impressed with the 139G's, that I'm almost scared to get MORE traction..hehe (BTW, I don't say this because I drive for em, you gotta run what works if you know what I mean) I do suspect that the GS's will have greater traction which I'm going to work on next time I race.

In my experience running the SP so far, I've definitely found more speed running softer springs and oil than I ran on the Worlds and running swaybars (even on the back) in Stock and gaining faster laptimes doing so.

My setup currently:

Front - Springs = Green Oil = 50wt Tire = 139G with HPI Red Insert Shock Length = 60.5mm Ride Height = 5.0mm Shock Mounting farthest outside hole on Tower and A-Arm. Shock End = Short A-Arm = Standard Stock 5 Caster Block, C-Hub hinge pin in upper hole, inner A-Arm hinge pin in lower hole. Camber = -2 (adjusting this makes a pretty big difference in steering response) SwayBar = World's Copper (.064") Toe = 0 Camber Links = Inside middle hole

Rear - Springs = Green Oil = 40wt Tire - 139G with Yokomo Firm Insert (037F) Shock Length = 59.5 Ride Height = 5.0mm Shock End = Short Shock Mounting farththest outside hole on Tower and A-Arm. A-arm = Graphite 1 degree rear hub carrier. Rear Hub hinge pin in lowest hole and Inner A-arm hinge pin in lower hole. Camber = -2 Swaybar = Silver (medium) Camber Link = Inside middle hole

Upper Deck - No cutouts, Motor Mount - Shim on the bottom Battery Holddown - Dan's LTO Strap (Yok bar allows stock-metal-hydrides to move around)

Setup works very well and is faster than running stiffer springs. Try with and without the rear swaybar. Its balanced and easy to drive now. Sorry I'm so wordy..LOL

BigDog - That's a tough one to answer. Track, Mod winds, timing, and many other things really dictate gearing on Mods. In general, P2K Big Track - 6.4 to 6.6 Medium and small track - 6.7 to 7.2. There are way too many mods to even generalize. 10-D try 8.0 - 9.0 12-D try 7.5 to 8.5.