R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TEMECULA OFFROAD RACING
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2009, 06:06 PM
ZERTA RACING
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cornerspeed
I really believe electrics can get more run time. I raced electric for 8 years. A lot of it was electric touring car modified. Back in the late 90's I had a big problem with run time for 4 minute races. We were using 2000 NiCads at the time. I found with a little fine tuning and mostly driving style, I was able to start making run time. Saturday's main, I pitted just once. My last fuel run was near 11 minutes. I ran out of fuel at the end of the straight, after the race was over. For the last 6 minutes of the race, I knew it would be close. So I drove the car more efficiently. Easing on throttle and letting off early. Also the rest of the track I was easing on throttle a lot less then normal. If I hadn't done that, I wouldn't have made it and would not have gotten 2nd place.

Look at some of the NASCAR races last year that ended up being fuel milage races. The drivers were told to let off the throttle a lot earlier going into the corners and easing the gas. Now some of those races, namely a couple won by Carl Edwards and one with Jimmie Johnson, they would have won by pure speed they each had at those races(fastest cars anyways), but since the situation turned to a fuel milage race, if they hadn't, they might of lost the race if they didn't.

Not trying to argue here, just trying to help all out. I don't care if people are running electric or not. The more racers, the better. Can the speed controls be turned down, or not? Less punch? Less over-all power? Smaller motors? Bigger capacity batteries? I just want to run longer mains.

yes they can be turned down and most of us run them turned down already. i run a 6000mah 4 cell and i think i can make 20min with the new layout before i hit LVC then the car stops. yes we could run different motors and bigger cell batteries but i think the highest mah is 6000 with all the correct ratings. also a new motor is about $250.00-$300.00 and batteries are about the same.so thats 500.00 to get 5-10 min more.
i will test my truggy out this weekend and see what happens. on cold nights our batteries can dump, (it is kind of like nitro) when the battery is not up to a certain degrees it uses more mah to get around the track(kind of like when nitros run rich) making our run times drop. two weekends ago this happened to ryan in the pro truggy main. he was in third at the time and he dumped with 3 minutes left in a 15min main. so like i said i will see how long i can run in practice and then see what the other guy's get.