R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - GRP ENGINE HELP
Thread: GRP ENGINE HELP
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2009, 12:58 AM
losi_racer
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
Uh NO. Any .21 engine should run between 200-230. Running an engine cooler than that will kill it just as fast as running it too hot. Every engine needs to heat up to the point where the parts have correct tolerences. You have to get it to the temp where metal pinch is gone. If you run it cooler than that point you could damage the rod, piston or sleeve. GRP's arent any different than any other engine. 225 is a perfectly normal temprature for that engine especially at 90 outside temp.
I understand im new, but please dont argue when you dont know what your talking about. but thanks for trying to help.

Engine temperature will vary from engine to engine—depending on the air temperature, fuel, carburetor restrictor, altitude, and driving style. The proper temperature range for GRP engines is between 170-200 degrees Fahrenheit.
http://www.losi.com/Articles/Article...ArticleID=1897

Originally Posted by shesha
1- If the piston and sleeve are still pinching then your still not past the breakin in process so that heat build up is from the pinching.

2- What fuel are you using check the content and make sure your shimming is correct. Out of the box it's for 20% to 30% you can remove one shim if you one not more then 0.1

3- Check for fuel line leakages you might be lean cause of that.

4- Check the engine / manifold rubbers grommets and the pipe side as well a small leak there could make a world of difference.

5- Pressure test your fuel tank and check the fuel filter for any debris.

Other then that if you still facing issues an engine tear down would be precautionary step for your to see if there is any abnormal wear.
1. engine has about 2 gallons on it so it past break n

2. Im using sidewinder 30% worlds

3. I looked and found nothing on the last tear down

4. i replace the groments after every rebuild and it just got rebuilt

5. did that

The engine ran good today at the races but im still running rich. Temps were at 215-225. I had good bottom end but the top end was rich, but i wasnt getting passes on the straight away. I am using a P3 plug