R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - BMI's DB12R
Thread: BMI's DB12R
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2009, 06:35 AM
xtrememadness
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Clegg
so a friend and I both run DB12RR's and have had the same failure of the front shock mount ball stud. When using the long alloy stud, we have found they tweak or snap in collisions. Now I know we shouldnt hit stuff... but it happens.

Both of us recently have fallen out of mains and qualifiers from failure of that front ball. Now we know this is a legacy associated bit from the 12L3 series of cars, so its not a BMI design failure. But I went and found a solid solution.

After seeing the new 12R5 center shock mount position and then looking at the 1/10th offerings out there, I picked up a Darkside Motorsports Adjustible center shock mount (#140). I rocks. In the same position as the AE mount it takes a lil more distance on the shock to give the same geometry, but overall its perfect. I used a small Ti ball stud in it and its rock solid. It has a pre threaded delrin base that fits fine.

Its probably a few gm's heavier than the AE setup, but I have no fear of busting those long ball studs anymore. And it complements the cars looks rather nicely.

I did also... somehow... bust the Silvia shock cap. I snapped the threaded portion right off. so I put an aluminum 4x40 scew through the hole with a small Oring on it, and a thin nut on the other side, and its good as new and longer which works for the darkside setup.
hey clegg thats a sweet shock mount im gonna have to pick one of them up. the long irs ball stud always snaps and the corally is like 9 bucks and its metric so you need a different ball cup. thats why we run a medium height ball stud with 2mm spacers under the stock mount. same height as long ball stud without the snappage hey jason looks like you need to make an adjustable mount now buddy