R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 8ight-T 1.0 Rear Diff
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2009, 06:58 PM
vladconnery
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
Is there a common problem with the ring/pinion in the 8ight-T 1.0 rear diff or outdrive? My truck is fairly new but today when hitting their brakes there was a loud grinding noise coming from the diff. I've not taken it apart yet, but it appears the rear diff is loose, you can wiggle it by moving one of the outdrives. I guess it could be bearings, or the plastic diff inserts. I did order the aluminum bearing carriers for the rear. Any thoughts? I pulled it off the the track immediately so I hope the ring/pinion is OK.
The inner gears are shot. When you take the diff apart your probally going to see pearlized diff fluid. Thats actually gears shavings cause you stripped them. The ring and pinion are going to be fine. More than like you were on power when you landed from a jump this will strip your gears everytime. Get a new set of inner gears there about $12. No big deal a common mistake also more than likely the center diff gears are stripped as well. This can happen to the front or rear depending on how you land. And it almost always strips the centers as well. When you land and are still on power. There is nothing to absorb the torque of the gears reengaging other than the gears themselves. It strips the landing wheels diffs and also send the excess torque to the center diff as well stripping those also.