R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Indoor Carpet Racing in St Louis
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2009, 05:50 PM
SteveL
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TfnG
thanks for the information you guys. it left me with....i still dont no where to start!! haha. i think id like to stay away from foam tires. i see everywhere on here talk about shaving them, then re gearing the car, etc. that is just 1 more pain.

1 other question. ive also seen talk of traction compounds. does that apply to rubber and foam? or just foam?

ok, 1 more. where can i find a 1s lipo?
Shaving foam is not a big deal. Take the new tires out of the package and run them. As they wear, you go up in pinion to maintain the roll out you want. If you want, you can start the tires at 1.75"/44.5mm for the rear and 1.65"/42.0mm for the frt and get a bunch of runs out of them. The newer foam compounds last a lot longer than the old green foam of long ago. I think changing a pinion gear once a week is a lot less work than building four shocks. A number of us will have truing machines and more than willing to cut some tires for you. About the only time you need a tire truer is when they are new if you manage your tires well and swap sides every other run so they wear evenly and you have the camber set right in the front so they wear flat.

Most guys use traction compounds on both foam and rubber. The compound of choice will be Jack the Gripper which is not near as nasty as Paragon. Yea, Paragon works better, but a lot of people can't stand the smell, so most tracks are banning it. I personaly have no problems with the Paragon but that may be due to all of the dead sensory cells that have come from using it for years. I do however miss that wintergreen smell.

The only place I've seen 1s lipo's being marketed is from SMC but I've also seen some guys taking a 2s saddle pack and just splitting it in to two packs. You can check the Single Cell Hardcase Lipo thread in the Electric On Road forum for more info.