R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TC3 Forum
Thread: TC3 Forum
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2003, 09:02 AM
Horatio
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Originally posted by berger
I race on a small carpet track in the UK, its open class as the commitee wouldnt allow stock racing when i proposed it , which is stupid as the kiddies run 12 turn motors geared incorrectly and pinball around the track. Im in the A main weekly running a stock motor against the other older more mature drivers and because of the tracksize im only 1/2 a second down a lap on the majority of the A.
Berger:

I too run on tight, technical carpet tracks. I use the Aluminium CVD's even though they cost more and are heavier. Why? Because the composite bones always seem to wear out where the pins go through the joint. On larger tracks, I guess this wouldn't happen as often - but when you go from lock to lock around tight hairpins etc, it puts alot of stress on the bones and the pins pull through. I have never broken or worn out my Aluminum CVDs after 2 seasons with my TC3. In comparison, I went through a set of Composites per meeting For me, they were a false economy and didn't look as nice either ;o)

As for running Modifieds on tight indoor tracks - why? You were right to propose a stock class. Control tyres certainly sorts the men from the boys too - you can concentrate on racing and other aspects of the sport rather than just going through endless combinations of tyres and inserts. During our open practices, I frequently tried out some of my mod motors against racers that were using Stock. The only part of the track where my car was quicker was on the straight. The stock motors were able to put the power down far better and were putting in quicker times as a result. Lower wind Mod motors (including 12t) just don't get a chance to unwind. I'm a fan of the 19t spec Super Stock motors, which I believe can work very well indoors, even on very tight circuits. I've found on our track, where 30 laps is quite normal with a Reedy MVP, I can improve my times by about 4 tenths of a second per lap with an Orion Element Super Stock motor (with stand up brushes). As an added bonus, the 19 spec motor comes off the track cooler too. Keep up the pressure - they'll come to there senses - there's always next years AGM

Juniors racing 12 turn motors indoors - nasty!! I bet the local model shop is doing well though