R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Don't buy MP9
Thread: Don't buy MP9
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2009, 08:40 AM
ezveedub
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by driverbob
You know I've seen the prices out there on all buggies. Believe me I am a tight A$$. I knitpick and am frugal as can be just to save a buck rc racing. But I'm still getting a mp9 as my hobby shop has that K car support. And I have looked at the prices of all buggies and have gotten all the pros and weaknesses of each buggy on these forums. If you look at the price of most of the parts on ie amain K car parts are far cheaper than the other buggies. (Except truggy for the ST-RR and that to me is jacked up.) While the buggies that have more expensive parts are reflected in their kit prices being cheaper. They make up the costs in the parts while Kyosho makes up the difference in the initial purchase of the mp9. Plus how many kits out there have the machined aluminum steering knuckles already and aka tires that don't wear out as fast and make any car feel like it is on rails. Most don't have it besides Kyosho, Jammin, and Tamiya (regarding steering knuckles). You have to purchase that extra and usually a good set of tires too. If you actually took those two things away from the buggy it would be in the price range of the other buggies, ie Losi, Jammin, Xray

Yes I've seen the problems first hand with the MP9 as I have pro driver in my back yard. The only thing I could think of is the parts going to australia aren't as good as the other mp9 parts going around the world. As breaking that many a arms is a lot. But don't just bash the car. Some people have good luck others don't. I usually have bad luck and when I get it well see if I have issues. Plus the mp9 drives alot different than WC/SP2. I own now the SP2 with no big bores and from what I seen and heard you have the drive the buggy not a hard and that could be what it happening with dale. If that is the case maybe he should switch to something that fits his driving style more. Plus cutting weight means more breakage as the mp777 was a tank. Now all buggies are going on diets and that means that same wreck with the old buggy would break and the new one might.

I probably wasn't going to get the mp9 as the price was a bit much. I wanted one, but even at my current job I couldn't afford one, but I got lucky and I went the rarely used route. If I didn't find the one I was getting I would have narrowed my choice down to Mugen or possibly the new Tamiya when it came out as they seem to have the least amount of problems. I never owned a mugen, but have heard good things and only heard of about two major problems with the mugen and the same with the K car. Both have been solved for the most part.

PS it is all about having fun. We all forget that once in a while and just go with what buggy you feel it is best for you and your price range. Most will be happy some won't
+1 on the Kit price vs parts price. I have compared the Mugen to the Kyosho and the Kyosho is more on the kit, but Mugen is more on the spares parts, almost double in some cases. Not always the case, but mostly.