R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Is RC a "Sport" or a "Hobby"?
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2009, 09:09 AM
JEFFRO503
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Looks like sport is winning....
I don't think so. Reading through this thread , the voting for "not a sport" is winning just like it did on the other site. just check it out here >>> http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8461958/tm.htm and you might want to just add the undecided few to the "not a sport" as well.....because a lot of them were being kind about what they had to say.

Look....i believe that RC racing is more of a sport than some of these other activities that are called sports.

The main difference between the two halves of people here in this debate is

Group A : Thinks it's not a sport because there is no physical demand that is needed from a participant , like almost ALL sports do. With the exception of a few of the ridiculous "new" sport that have came around over the last 5-6 years.

Group B : Thinks it is a sport , because you are participating in an event , and a sport does not need any physical demand from a person to have be called a sport.

Of course i am with group A , but i think group B has a lot of valid points. Being in a lot of different sports myself over the years , including racing motocross for around 30 of them , and breaking damn near every bone in my body at least once ( sometime 2-3 times) it's hard for me to grasp RC as a sport.

I have to thank the RC community for damn near saving my life to be honest. When i got hurt real bad 3 years ago from a bad MX wreck , i decided to get more involved with RC , as a way to get my mind away from racing bikes. I have done this numerous times with other sports and activities throughout my last 10 years or so of racing MX.....but nothing ever replaced the feeling i got from racing MX.

The RC cars was a good bandaid for me , and it really help me focus on other things besides racing MX. It introduced me to a lot of really cool people out here in the NW....a group of people i still see now and then.

BUT...it also opened another door to RC for me.....which has blown me away. And that's the Flying part of RC. If you we're to ask me 3 years ago what i thought about flying an RC airplane....i would of said , i thought it was gay. But until i saw a big Yak 54 , with a 121" wingspan drop out of the sky in front of me , and then the guy stood it strait up and hovered it about 10' off the ground , my jaw dropped , and I KNEW i had to learn it!

I have been hooked ever since. And now...2-1/2 years later , i have more money , and time wrapped up into these things it's insane! But i love it!

I could go on and on....but to be honest , my dad who was dying of cancer needed a hobby to get into , found RC as something he wanted to do. Knowing my brother was smoking fast out here in the NW back in the early 90's....my dad wanted to try it out. So i went and bought a T-maxx as to have something to play around with my dad. My little brother started driving again as well. I was hooked , and so was my dad. The last few years he was alive ,and running the RC's , is a huge highlight in my life.

I still have his almost brand new XXX-4 he built from a kit , with the dirt on it from his last drive. I will never drive that car , and she is set up and ready to go. I'm making a plauque for it , and hanging in the office on a wall.

I think my dad would of enjoyed the RC flying as well. I miss him every day.

Sorry for going off the subject. I sometimes rant to long i guess.

Anyways....i look at this thread and think of it as a good debate. It's healthy to hear opinions from both sides.

And either way , weather we call it a sport or a hobby....we are all in it for the fun of it , and way to hang out with family and friends....with a little friendly racing action to keep us on our toes.