R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Problems
Thread: Problems
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 08:44 AM
Tree
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris__RC
+1, I hate my local hobby shop. They know less than nothing, which means they always say the wrong information. Like, "Traxxas fuel is the best because they spent the most time in R%D", and "Lower gearing WILL burn your motor! Igher gearing runs cooler."

So whenever I have a question, I just post it on the forum or go to the track.

Tree, What LHS DID you go to?
When I first started out in this hobby in 2005 I had a heck of a time trying to get my cars started and running let alone trying to tune them. I first took my monster truck to a guy who ran a hobby shop business out of his home. He helped get my truck started and and it ran ok. Once I got home I couldn't get it started and if I did, it didn't run good at all and the engine temps were 300+ degrees F.

I took it to Dynamic Hobbies in Hemet, Ca and the young guy there had my truck all day and it ran worse than when I dropped it off. Dynamic Hobbies is a pretty good shop. I buy a lot of stuff there but I will never take any vehcle there if I am having problems.

After that, I took it to a guy named Francis who owns Southland Hobbies in Lakewood, Ca. He did the best job out of the 3 shops I took my rig to. He got my truck running good but the temps were still a little high. He told me about a local R/C track calle d Crystal Park Raceway. That is where I met a guy named Bob ( i will never forget him) who hleped me out tremendously. He took the time to answer my questions and showed me how to tune and set-up my truck. He stood by my side almost the entire time that day and he let me use his tools since I really didn't have any of my own at that time. I am forever gratefull to Bob. I was very close to giving up on R/C nitro vehicles, especially after the bad experiences I had at a couple of hobby shops.

I will NEVER take any vehicle to a local hobby shop after the experience I have had. I would rather come on this forum and seek some advice from forum members or better yet, go to a local track and ask for help from some of the racers there. I have come across a few a$$holes that didn't want to take the time to help a noob, but that has been a few rare instances. Most of the people in the R/C community are very friendly and helpful and most will gladly help if you just ask.