R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - OS .21 VSPEC Engine
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2009, 07:56 PM
mugenb46
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FastPete
Hi,Im new here and looks like a great forum.And want to say thanks for all the help.

Can you guys tell me the best way to break in my engine in my 1/8 scale buggy.You hear good n bad about this engine but I choose to go with it.The racers seem to be sold on it.

I started it and followed the manual,it came 2.5 turns out from closed HSN.I put almost a half gallon of moderate driving.Now HSN down to 1.5 out.Some tims it would sound good n lay over.It was 30 deg out and never got about 150.Kinda cold.Maybe I should wrap the head? My truck seems like it runs better hot or up to temp.Or am I pushing it too soon?Maybe should put a new glow plug in?Let me know your thoughts and I will give you all the info I can

Thanks Pete
Hey pete, welcome

Never run that motor in weather this cold without heat, you need to saturate the engine with heat before each start up, 220 to 230 before each start, and the cold weather will work against you as well as ther fuel, that motor runs cool, and the fuel laod that enters the engine cools it even faster. If you need to run it in more, apply heat to the mentioned range, and keep alum foil with a sock over it on the head, this will cut off air going to the head and help maintain higher temps, this heat allows the sleeve inside the motor to stay expanded during running, it has a tighter diamiter than the bottom of the sleeve, this is how your compresion is controled in a sence, if the engine is broke in a low temps, it not only killes the pinch to fast but puts a ton of stress on the rod and crank pin, it may be better to talk to you on the phone about it, feel free to give me a call in the afternoon.