R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Hot Bodies Cyclone
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2009, 09:11 AM
Korey Harbke
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lonestar
Hi guys

always a lot of people to talk fdr but not that many to talk true setup changes impact... (just being a bit provocative here, but as usual this "technical" forum has a low S/N ratio...).

Anyone knowledgeable wants to take a crack at it? rc-pete? Korey?

thanks guys,
Paul
Sorry Paul, I've been slammed with school haha. This is the first tim eI've been able to relax and breathe for over a week. Anyway, I'm sure I can help out.

Front wheelbase changes:

So usually if I shorten the wheelbase in the front end (move the arms back) it makes the car sit on the nose more. Now, it;s been hard for me to be able to tell how it changes the car in the three main parts of a corner (entry, mid and exit). But I do know it will generally make the car have more steering and be more aggressive off power, and have more rear grip on power (more available weight to transfer to the rear from the front). If you lengthen the wheel base in the front (move the arms forward) it will smooth out the car and make it feel like a Cadillac .

Rear wheelbase changes:

Generally when I lengthen the rear wheelbase on a car, I notice it tends to make the car have a little more on power steering, and be very smooth at the same time. I can't really explain why, but that is what I've felt before. Shortening the wheelbase will give really good low speed steering in those tight 180's and such, but have less on power steering.

That's about as detailed I can get. Other tha the obvious when you change the front and rear wheelbase together: Longer is smoother, and shorter is more aggressive.

-Korey