R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Understanding Battery Chargers
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2009, 11:45 PM
NCWC
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dishsoap
OK Thanks. The link on the first post. Is that a good charger or what would everyone recommend.

You and me are on the same boat when it comes to batteries. Electronics in general just confuse me, batteries just make it worse.

I dont know about you, but that charger you linked looks like a confusing piece to use.
This is the one I have and it still works great after 3yrs....If you want to charge NiMH batteries, specifically your cars reciever pack it will do it. It will charge your starter box batteries and if you upgrade to a rechargable NiMH pack for your transmitter, it will do it also. http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...idproduct=3502

I know its a little more expensive then the one you linked, but let me tell you how this thing works.....

I plug in whatever one or two batteies needs charging; 1600Mah reciever pack, my 3pk rechargable pack, or starter box batteries. Press the button, make sure the lights are steady illuminated red indicating the batteries are charging, (constant flashing indicates connection problem). Walk away. When I come back, if the lights are still steady red, wait a little more. Walk back, if the lights are flashing intermittently the charger is peak detecting and the batteries are fully charged. Usually takes 20-30 min if the batteries are a little low, faster if they still have some charge to them.

Its that easy. It makes a day at the track go by so easy. I charge all batteries the night before, practice-charge, two 5min heats-charge, 20min main. I have never had a problem lasting the main with my reciever pack or transmitter. My guess is the batteries runtime is maybe 45 min
after a full peak charge, but I dont know, I havent tried to push past that. My starterbox would last two days in a row if I needed it to, and my engines pinch is tight. The transmitter pack for my radio has 8 cells, the charger says it does up to 7 cells..... never had a problem, 11 volts on the dot everytime. And this thing is convenient as hell when you dont have a drop cord or a wall outlet source at all. You can use your car battery to supply the charger with power. It has two jumper cable-style alligator clips to connect it to the posts on your car battery. I use it like this 90% of the time.