R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Why "blip" the throttle?
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2009, 10:39 AM
heeltoedrver
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by NCWC
I like to think of it like this........... no lie! And this is a good question to ask yourself.

If you were an 1/8 scale human driving a buggy/truggy, how would you drive it?

I would lay down as much constant power as I could given the circumstances.
On a low traction track I would be light with the throttle, laying down as much power as the tires can handle without losing foward or steering grip. You cant use your total amount of traction for both steering and accelerating, one or the other has to give some up. When given a higher traction surface, I certainly would be more aggresive with the throttle, but again only as much as the tires warrant.

You have to understand one can control the rate at which they "roll on" the throttle. A lower rate for bad traction, and a higher rate when traction is better. If you go around a sweeper stabbing the throttle, the car is going to be unpredictable because its weight is transfering back and forth and/or the tires are shocking loose, losing steering when your on throttle, but killing foward momentim when you are off. But if you are rolling on the throttle, at whatever rate is suitable for the traction avalible, then you are splitting the traction avalible between steering and acceleration. If you lose traction in either area, you back off the throttle or steering until the comprimise is met again.
i understand what you are saying, and at this point think it comes down to where do you draw the line between rolling on the throttle quickly and stabbing at it. it comes down to traction, if i have the traction to give it 100% right away, i am going to and everyone else is too. if i need to roll on the throttle because i need a specific rhythm through whoops or a set of jumps then thats what i do. i never suggested that i would stab through a sweeper, i said just the opposite.