R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/8 Magazine shoot out.
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2009, 11:20 AM
DerekB
Tech Master

Originally Posted by *Chrominator*
Well I didn't expect this much discussion on magazine reviews,test and shoot outs when I started this thread. I was just trying to find out if there had been a shoot out of all the new buggies yet.

Pretty cool to see a pro driver and what sounds like some actual magazine editors responding to this thread.

My opinions of magazine reviews, test , and shoot outs is that, I think there to give the average guy some basic information and understanding of that product or comparison of products so that consumer has one source to evaluate what he is shopping for , instead of having to ask a lot of different people there opinions of each buggy, and when asking people there opinion on what buggy they have, chances are they don't have first hand knowledge of all the other buggy's to choose from, which a magazine shoot out would.

The last 1/8th scale shoot out I saw was right after the Losi first came out. I bought my Kyosho SP2 right before I saw that test, when I was trying to decide which 1/8 to get it was between the Kyosho and Mugen.

All of the local hard core 1/8 drivers said those were the two best at that time.

I like Losi and of my Electrics are Losi , but I was a little Leary of buying Losi first 1/8, just because I thought they mite not get it right the first time out.

I passed on the Mugen only because it had the pillow ball suspension, and my only experience with that came from the T-Max, and I just remember it not being the most durable.

I know the Mugen ended up winning the shoot out, and they praised it and it's pillow ball suspension for working great and being supper durable.

I can't remember if the Kyosho ended up second or third, but after reading it and talking to a lot of the guys that drove Mugens I think I mite have ended up buying Mugen.

Except for the stock front knuckles , I have been real happy with my Kyosho.

And now looking back It looks like I would not have gone wrong buying a Losi either.

Any way I guess what I'm trying to say is that the more Information you can get, weather it's from magazines, Internet forums, or word of mouth, it will all be helpful when your trying to decide which new RC Car to buy.

Reading all the posts so far , it does not sound like there has been a recent shoot out of all the new buggy's.

Maybe one of these editors could tell us if and when there will be a shoot out of all the newest buggy's that are out now.

Thanks.

Mike
What you said is 100% correct. Magazines, internet, a smoke signal in the sky are all things that a person uses to make a decision. All of their pros, all have their cons. I think the internet is great and lots of valuable information is here, but it's also full of misleading information and people who don't really know what they are talking about.

Some people on the internet are sponsored and will fight tooth and nail to tell you how good their free stuff is and how bad everything else is. But when they switch they seem to say that all over again. I know a certain editor that has been quoted to say that everything but Losi sucked...when he was sponsored. I wonder if that's still true?

Magazines have a value just like the internet, BTW there are much more grammar and spelling issues online than in print anywhere, but we'll ignore that. The forums are a great place to learn, and when you buy something learn more as a collective group. But they are also, to me, more misleading because there are 1 million opinions on everything. I won't use RC, but when I was looking for a new subwoofer for my home I went to forums and couldn't find a really good answer to what I should get...just a 100 opinions on $1000 subwoofers. I even tried to check some magazines that might have rated them and it was hard to find.

So at least in our hobby we have magazines that point people in the right direction and have some websites to help.

Oh I bought a sub for $230 on eBay and I think it's awesome. If I had bought a FT subwoofer which probably is way better it would have been $750. But I'm happy with my RTR....somebody will understand that yoda talk.