R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - MP9 vs 808 quality
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2008, 07:27 AM
captain america
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcg33k
They're both good cars and I wouldn't worry about spending money on either one - the Xray appears to have SLIGHTLY higher quality in some areas, while the Kyosho is higher quality in others. The only reason I will not but an Xray is that they copy the designs of other cars rather than design their own. That's usually left for the Chinese and Taiwanese knock-off artists and I won't invest a penny in a company that steals the hard work of others. Before any Xray fan buys get their panties in a bunch, I don't need the list of 10 parts that are different. It's a 99 percent copy of a Losi buggy, and changing a few parts doesn't make it OK. It's a better copy than the original, but still a copy. To answer the original question, they're both good cars.
If you're going to boycott a brand just because you perceive them to have "copied" another, you may just as well leave the hobby entirely, since it happens with ALL companies at varying degrees over the course of time. No company that I'm aware of puts a patent on the overall design of their car. If they did, virtually every firm would be entangled in lawsuits and the cost of patenting and ensuing litigation would either drive said firms' product prices to skyrocket, or propel them into insolvency.

No patent/copyright/trademark = no claim of ownership

since theft implies ownership, if someone cannot defend a claim of ownership, any talk of theft is unfounded.

In short, your argument is defective because you proceed from a defective premise... But a pre-emptive happy new year to you all the same