R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]
Old 12-29-2008, 08:02 AM
IndyRC_Racer
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I've backed the Model Masters rattle can paint with the Pactra rattle can paint made for lexan bodies. The Pactra paints are fuel resistant and should help with problems from tire sauce being sprayed off the tires onto the body. I would suggest wiping down tires though since many traction compounds can eat through lexan (such as the clear windows).

If you are going to use the Model Masters paints (for color selection), take some extra time to prep your body. The paint doesn't seem to bond the same to lexan like the Pactra paint. It is also not as scratch resistant. I'm usually too lazy to scuff up the inside of my bodies before I paint them, so I'm not sure if that would help. I mainly just clean out the bodies with liquid dish soap.

Another thing to be aware of with the Model Masters paint is that it doesn't react well to Shoe Goo. If you apply Shoe Goo directly to the paint it will cause some discoloration. I'm not sure if a good backing of Pactra would help.

Overall I've been very happy with this paint as it has held up to the abuse I give it on the track. I have destroyed the front ends of my bodies before having any real issues with the paint job.