R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TT-01 Forum
Thread: TT-01 Forum
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2008, 01:25 PM
djfourmoney
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rccardr
If you're talking about silver can racing with a TT01, we have found that either the E or the regular TT works fine (in fact, we feel that the non-E motor mount which runs a little loose, actually make the car slightly faster), although the BB steering on the E is much better. We also like the TRF shocks, although the plastic ones (get the super mini ones) work OK for most racers. As you mentioned, bearings are a must. We also suggest the turnbuckle steering links (permits smoother suspension movement) and the aluminum driveshaft (the new one with the drive cups for each end is even better). As far as bodies go, yes even a small wing seems preferable to no wing at all. The 430 is a fine body as is the NSX and the Mercedes DTM, all with the kit wings work just fine. In fact, pretty much every body works well at silver can speeds.
Great! I was reading some of the RCGT thread and with hotter motors it seems aerodynamics matter more, especially with downforce.

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
Is the TT-01R a better kit overall than the TT-01E? A local hobbyshop has one sitting on the shelves and was thinking of buying it for xmas.
From what I gather, the E has better steering and stronger chassis components to combat flex which was a complaint on earlier versions of the car. The R which I am considering too, has many of the Tamiya Hop Up parts, but as others have stated track time is more important than go-fast parts especially with stock 540 motors, they just don't produce enough speed to really take advantage of the all those parts. At TCS events or Silver Can 540 events, you can't run the Black motor included with your car and its not fast enough to run any of the other "Stock" classes either, it would become a paper weight.

Originally Posted by RaceBucks
There are some very good fast racers that have answered your questions, and I agree with them. Let me add something else:

I am an experienced racer and run mostly high end cars, but to run the 2008 TCS I bought the cheapest sedan kit they make (Enzo TT-01 for $80) and ran it with only bearings, 2 degree rear uprights, B3 tires, and the upgraded wing. I ran the kit friction shocks, kit driveshaft, kit everything else. Under a silver can motor it ran great. Look at post #835 on this thread and you will see my evaluation and gearing charts.

Even as an experienced racer I didn't expect to podium even if I had a blinged out TA05 (which I did in 2007 TCS and broke on every race, and later sold it), so I decided to run for fun and see how I could do with the cheapest kit. If you are a novice this will be even less about the car and more about driving between the lines and keeping your speed up. Any of the TT-01 kits will be fine. I'm not saying that the "E", "R", etc doesn't come with nicer stuff, but it's likely the stuff that isn't going to translate into faster lap times for you so don't spend too much extra for those kits.

Jeff Smith
I don't think driving will be much of an issue but I totally agree track time improves speed more than hot parts do beyond those that free up drive-line drag, improving drivability and suspension binding...

Originally Posted by xrayroooahhhh
I couldn't agree more!!! At our club we have eliminated the R as a option...because peolpe would need to spend another "x" amount of money to upgrade.....and I don't think you need it!! The silver cans in the TT01 is just like running the Tamiya Mini.....a little slop never hurt anyone!!! Anyways....the friction dampers(spring holders) will work fine......try some HPI progressive springs......take out the spacer in the dampers....and run the springs as hard as your tires will allow you to get traction(Flourescent green front) (Yellow out back)....

JMO later,
R
Thanks for the advice; "RaceBucks" has run where I'll be running, as far as I know you have to use Tamiya parts. The option of running HPI springs just isn't available in that class.