R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Losi 8ight building and setup
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2008, 07:43 PM
Jonro
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by cjtamu
I hav 1 1/2 gallons on my clutch bell bearings and still going strong. Make sure your bell spins freely, the shimming is different for each engine. I can't use any shims with my RG, the Extech takes 2, etc. When you set the mesh be sure that the spur and clutch bell are parallel to each other. If it's angled even a little it will eat your bearings. I run my mesh pretty loose. I see a lot of guys say they use a piece of paper folded in 1/2, but I have mine a little looser than that. Clutch shoes could be an issue if you haven't replaced them, too much slip will heat the bell. Only other thing I can think of is if your engine has a lot of runtime on it maybe you have a bearing that's wobbling.
Originally Posted by Integra
1 ditch the silver springs....those aren't helping the situation.....2 I wish losi made vented bells....it would help in keeping the clutch in check and temps reasonable....ive drilled out a couple but when Brand new its nearly impossible even with a Brand new Carbide bite its still a pain in the arse...make sure the mesh is alot looser then normal...so there's a decent Tick in the gears...but they arent too far apart they are barely touching.
Originally Posted by air8
All the above, PLUS;

If your engine crankshaft has a lot of gallons on it, check the diameter of the crank snout where the bearings ride. If it has been worn down too much there will be bearing vibration and wear.
Cheers for the help guys.

Integra, would going to 2 green and 2 gold clutch springs be the go? And would putting in two alu and two composite(or even all composite?) shoes instead of all alu shoes reduce clutch temps also?

Last edited by Jonro; 12-04-2008 at 07:53 PM.