R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/8 buggy on road tire recommendation...
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2008, 10:16 AM
bjr48
Tech Regular

Default pick some advice out of this or don't - just rambling

I just looked through what Tower has to offer and there is not much to choose from anymore. In my bashing days I did about 75% of my running on pavement. What I was going to recommend was the ones I used for years that had kind of a square block "all season" tire tread that was for street. I think they may have been Duratrax Road Rage? I even showed up accidentaly to my first track practice ever with them on because I forgot to pack my off roads and they had just enough traction to practice on the track. And they go through grass and other "basher" stuff no problem.

Now all that seems to be available is slicks or a "summer tread" v shaped tread like I've got on my full size car and they use for rain tires in Formula 1 kind of. I don't like the way those look. I wonder if they work off pavement? Stay away from slicks if you want to do anything at all off the pavement. My slicks slip wildly in dry grass leaving me almost stuck or risking over-reving engine damage. I keep them around for engine troubleshooting, breaking in, adjusting, whatever on the pavement. Off road tires don't last more than one tank if you are at the track and end up going to the parking lot to try and track down an engine problem.

My other thought is to see what's available for a tread pattern like they have on the T-max out of the box. Most of my friends had T-maxes years ago and the tread that used to come on those did ok on pavement without fast wear issues.

I guess pavement only go for the slicks. They are great for that only.