R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Hot Bodies Cyclone
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2008, 09:47 AM
cyclone speed
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Korey Harbke
Shorter links tend to give more camber change. They give a lot more grip at the beginning of the corner, then give elss grip through the rest of the corner. They also make the car react a lot faster too (sometimes really edgy and hard to drive) Usually if the track is really high grip, tight, and technical, I will run the shorter camber link (the outer hole on the upper bulkhead). It makes the car dive into the corner a lot better.

Longer links will usually produce less camber change, and I tend to use them when the traction is lower (asphalt racing typically) on bigger tracks so it will make the car smoother, and have more grip in the middle and exit of the corner for those long sweeping turns. Length of a camber link works a little different than just adding or removing shims to chaneg the angle of the link itself. Here's a little cheat sheet/guideline that I always go by:

Long Link: Smoother initially, more overal grip in the middle and exit of a corner (think softer)
Short link: Lots of initial grip, less in the middle and exit of a corner. (think stiffer)

More Angle (inside of camber link is lower than outside): Less initial grip, more grip in the middle and exit of the corner.
Less Angle (link is more parallel to the ground): More initial grip, less in the middle and exit of the corner.

You use these concepts to get a good balance of your car. Lets say we have 2mm under the frotn and rear camber links, but you notice your car is getting a little loose in the middle of the corners. You could remove some shims from the inside of the rear camber link. This will produce more rear grip in the middle and exit of the corner.

I always tend to break the corner up into entry/initial, mid and exit. That allows me to analyze what I have and dont have, and what I want in certain spots of the corner.

XXX main setup book is really good. I don't agree with a few things, but like I said before. It REALLY depends on driving style, track conditions, and the rest of your setup. Sometimes there is something else wrong with your setup causing an ill handling car. It just takes practice, and experience to be able to tell which adjustment will be best for your situation. The book gives a really good general description of what will happen, but is not always 100% accurate.

That was a long winded post. I'm going to class now haha. Hope that helped a few of you guys!

-Korey
thanks for the long post it has helped me out abit more , but i dont know what is initial grip.