R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Clutch Maintenance Help
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2008, 03:50 PM
vladconnery
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LabRat99
Thanks for the responses. The reason I asked was because I just went through the clutch and the bearings were totally shot and the clutch shoes were worn down to the point that the springs were getting ate up.

It's definitely not my driving style, I try to be smooth and stay in control. The alignment was good, the mesh might have been very slightly loose but certainly not enough to hurt the teeth on either gear. If I had a problem mechanically, it was front to rear play. It needed more shims and I never got around to adding any.

I probably ran the car for three months before I took it apart and found the clutch in such sorry shape. So obviously, that's too long!
LOL, The 1st part of fixing a mistake is admitting you made one. So now you know 3 months is to long to go without maintenance. Properly shimming your CB is very important. Keep in mind everything that goes wrong on one of these puppys can lead to another problem. If your CB is not right that means shimmed, meshed and squared. It can cause your engine to run hot. What TeamX151 said about blowing the grease out of your Cb bearings is also true. bearings are packed with grease. You should blow some of it out especially on the inner bearing. If the grease spins out which it usually will. It will coat the inside of your CB and make the clutch slip.