R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Lipo Regulator use it or ditch it??
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2008, 07:45 AM
Brian Bosley
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by supralative
Voltage regulator works to keep voltage to the receiver and servos at no more than 6volts typically, not to bump up the voltage.

Regulator wont protect the lipo pack unless it has a built in cut off to turn off the battery and to my knowledge no regulator does that.

I run lipos in my 1/8 buggy with a regulator and have not had any issues so far(fingers crossed). I charge them Friday night and run them Saturday at club races and repeat that process each week. For a large event I will bring my charger to the track and charge/peak them in between every other round.

KO servos are the only one on the market currently that I know that can handle higher than the recommended 6volts.
My regulator turns red to signify that the battery is too low, but if it turns red with 15 minutes to go in the main it is probably too late.. I don't think any of us would want a regulator that shuts off.

ACE servos are well known to handle 7.4v as well BUT not every receiver will accept 7.4v over the long term. KO does.