R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Ceramic piston ?
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2008, 03:50 AM
helibrian
Tech Fanatic

Hey all,
I'm not trying to be a peckerhead either but,... let's see how to put this..."ceramic materials" refers to materials used in the ceramic process. So, in a way, everybody's right!

The pistons originally mentioned are actually aluminum pistons like we're all used to, but they are coated/impregnated with a "thermal barrier" ceramic material. This process is nothing new and most of you have very likely already used products that utilize this technology without realizing it. In fact, many nitro engine manufacturers coat their pistons, they just don't use that fact as a marketing tool like SH/Golden Lion does. I'm not knocking SH here, SH is highly under rated in my opinion, and markets some of the best/most-durable engines out there.

As far as the piston expansion previously mentioned, keep in mind, we're talking about a coated aluminum piston here, not a solid casting of ceramic material. A ceramic coated aluminum piston will still expand in a similar way that an alternately coated or uncoated piston would. Cylinder wall clearances can be initially tighter with less friction, which would result in better compression, less heat and less pre-ignition/detonation (yes that's an issue in nitro engines too). It wouldn't surprise me to see manufacturers start coating combustion chambers/head buttons in the near future.

Hope this helps to answer some questions.