R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - GT class--buggy-based on road!
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2008, 11:15 PM
Jspeed
Tech Elite

Solara,
Was running Ipanema 55 shore all around, have run harder shore split/combos in the past and worked well when car was too tight going into turns for more push going in.

I only use pre-mount Ipanema tires; it’s the only way the come; ready to race. Kyosho’s tires with the buggy foam inserts are great too. Have a few sets I glued together since Kyosho’s “US Open” race last March.

Fastfoward,

What I’ve seen in “Spec” racing since last November is a gradual loosening for manufacturers to enter into the “GT” arena. What used to be an “IGT” only class has morphed into several manufactures producing cars offering similar RTR “GT” cars in an affordable package or working on prototypes.

It’s actually a good thing, as long as none of them come out with a $700 dollar RTR that kills the class by making another “money war” class.

In our Florida State Series they’re running a loose set of rules that are being shaped and working well.

Cars run the RTR engines/pipes from the “GT” chassis manufacturer that can be interchanged between them, talk of a $175 dollar “claimer” rule and must have operational “pull-starts”, so no internal engine techs are necessary. No “centax” clutches, drift electronics or “Lola-style & Wedge-shaped” bodies and all cars run rubber tires.

As far as “required spec tires”, I’m against that idea of that 100%. It opens the door for “back room” politics that will benefit one and hurt many.

It closes the door for new manufacturers to enter “GT” racing, could allow “the chosen one” to stop working on advances in tire design or quality because they’re “the only game in town”. Plus, I’d hate to have to use a “brand” of tire that sucks because they got the “money-deal”.

If that happens to the “GT” class, good luck to everyone that sticks with it.

I’ll grab my Les Paul, fire up the old “Marshall” amp and start jamming again.

Traveling to races, hotels, fast food and all the racing expenses for an event all add up to more money that I can make gigging with a band on the weekends; including my “bar tab” and that’s a lot of fun too.

JLock,
Car looks outrageous!
Good luck in Memphis