R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - World GT Club Racing - To spec or not to spec is the question????
Old 10-03-2008, 09:47 AM
davepull
Tech Master

ok my take on things.

spec tires?? well first thing that comes to mind is it must be ONE company. there is now way that they all can make the same tire. which leads to if you do go to one single company you put alot of pressure on that company to produce the same tire time and time again. which leads to how do you tech it? because if you just use a colored rim what is to stop someone from mounting there own foam? ok so you use a duraometer reading. Great now tracks have to go out and buy an $90 piece of tech equipment. ok so you get your durometer readings from a new tire. i know that there are tire sauces out there that will lower that number by 5 points. So now what? the only true way to do it is to use a colored band.

IMO i thin having 1 compound tire will actually be more expensive. especally once the class grows and people figure out that a 2.11 tire size is the fast set up.

I look at this class as nothing more than another pan car. 12th has open tire and 90% of the guys all run the same compounds. so why would this be any different.

I know what you guys are thinking but these foam tires are nothing like rubber tires when it comes to consistancy from batch to batch.

I can see it now, the racer in the hobby shop with a durometer snatching up all the softer rears. lol

I think the biggest thing you should worry about is the bodies. some rules need to be set so that these companies don't to far out of the box.

here is what I suggest to help build a good class structure.

run the world gt class 17.5 4 cell corvettes vipers style bodies

next class would be the DP (daytona prototype) 13.5 4 cell that is a car style like that new protoform Mulsanne LMP etc

last class would be the ALMS open mod 4cell this would be the open cockpit style cars.

just my 2 cents.

Last edited by davepull; 10-03-2008 at 12:15 PM.