R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - World GT Club Racing - To spec or not to spec is the question????
Old 10-02-2008, 09:42 AM
jag88
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fred_B
Back when the rebirth of this class was just a rumbling a few of the guys that ran in or were at the last pro10 Nats had a few good points. First, the straw that broke the camel's back for pro10 was the speeds that we had on 6 cells in mod. It got to the point where only a select few could wheel a mod car around the track and the cars were dangerous for cornermarshalls on an indoor carpet track.

Fast foreward to where we are today. Most of the manufacturers decided that the way to go with this class was 4 cell. Lighter cars, lower tire wear, cheaper packs. Pretty much all of the rules that they went with are a really good way to control the class and keep the speeds reasonable. I hate the body rule but I think that a mod class will develop using the new GTP/LMP style bodies and I'm all in when that happens.

So, for all of you "anti-NiMh" guys there's a single cell LiPo coming from SMC that will keep the speeds reasonable. If you want to go fast indoors RUN MOD.

For all the guys running on those big 1/8th outdoor tracks. Make up your own rules for your track. 2 cell LiPo and a big mod are safe on your track then go for it.

So, for the "spec?" question at the top of the thread (my opinion):

1) Tires - Yes with 2 compounds at the rear for indoors and out.
2) Batteries - 4 cell for now and bring in single cell LiPo when it makes sense.
3) Chassis - Keep it simple! No sedan front suspension, or independant rear ends. Just a simple chassis and a fun class.
4) Bodies - Stock=GT and Mod=LMP/GTP with a wing (realistic looking) See new Protoform body.
5) If your area needs to open things up some or limit them more go for it but the main class should have some basic rules.

Normally in racing the sanctioning body sets the rules for a new class. Only in RC do we see a new class twist in the brease while the sanctioning body "lets the racers" figure out the rules. It's kinda like letting the crack heads set up the drug laws.

What he said ........