R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - CL7B & V-Spec long term viability (not a "which is faster" thread)
Old 09-25-2008, 07:59 AM
deus1978
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default CL7B & V-Spec long term viability (not a "which is faster" thread)

This is not a "which is faster" thread. This is not a "Tell me that your brand is best because thats what YOU run". I know both mills are great, both have loads of power, and are plenty fast. I have had experience with both of them at our track but no long term exposure.

I want to know specifically which mill "should" (all things being equal) get more gallons through them because of build quality, tougher quality requirements, and materials quality. I have a P5 and I am approaching 8 gallons and I want something that I can get a lot of fuel mileage out of because I can't and don't want to buy new motors all the time (I don't like the price point of the Nova's). The Nova is Italian built and the quality speaks for itself and I don't think many will dispute that (except the recent bearing issue but please don't derail this thread).

The Sirio is Italian built but it's not unheard of to only get 2 or 3 gallons out of the earlier Kanai's and this scares me. Have they spent timing improving the longevity of the mill or just increased the power in the 4th generation? We are familiar with the track record of the V-Spec as well, and it's been less than stellar. It seems like we always see a "new" version of the V-Spec and the claim is that they fixed the legacy problems (Bearings, Carb) and the last few revisions seem to have not fixed the issues (I may be uneducated here, but I still see the same old complaints time and time again). Now that they have the new ceramic bearings, are all the problems actually "fixed"? I still see reviews saying that some people only get a gallon through them before they lose pinch. It's hard to find good information because there are to many people that run this mills lean and try to get the last bit of power out of them, which of course will shorten engine life. There are also those that have no clue how to tune and those that would keep running when the air filter pops off and sucks in dirt and wonder why the mill dies in a few short gallons.

If anyone would educate me on this it would be great. I want longevity which is not the mindset of most racers, they want the fastest/best/biggest hyped/most "blinged" out mill they can buy and go "crap, this only lasted a gallon?" after it dies.