R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tire glue?
Thread: Tire glue?
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2008, 05:22 PM
jpalessi
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SteveP
Having just been through the process of chosing a high-quality CA for our product (AKA Racing), I've learned that thin CA is a watered-down version of medium CA, and that all CA glues are not created equally. Some producers focus on making the least expensive product, which results in a weaker bond, and others spend the time to formulate the CA to provide the strongest bond between the specific materials used in RC tires and wheels. BTW, thin CA doesn't actually use water to thin it, but the thinning agent doesn't contribute to the bond strength. In our experience, which between Gil, Mark and myself adds up to about 80 years, the medium CA from our source produces the highest bond strength. Thin CA glue will get the job done - we've all used it for years and it produces a strong bond under the right conditions, but the medium CA we're using produced the strongest bond of any we've tested. It's the most expensive for us to buy, so it's a little more costly than garden-variety CA glue, but to most of our customers it's more important to have a solid bond than to save $2 on a bottle of glue. So, to answer the question, our testing showed that the medium CA is stronger. I don't reccommend using any type of accelerator either. It makes the glue cure instantly, but the bond strength is MUCH better when the glue is allowed to dry on its own. Lastly, it's important to keep your CA refrigerated. CA that's stored in your toolbox in a hot garage or even in the house will degrade more quickly. If you keep it in the fridge and can keep your wife/GF from using it to repair broken fingernails, it's going to be useful to the last drop. If you leave it in your toolbox, it can degrade in a couple of weeks depending on the heat. I hope the info helps to answer your question.
+1 on all his points. Only I use the Lucky 7 Rc Medium Tire Glue.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...ml#post4814414

Freshest High Quality CA on the market.. Made in the USA