R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2008, 05:33 PM
Hebiki
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
It scrubbed a lot of speed. I don't know what combination it was of driver/setup, but other people were clearly faster. I used a variation of Jilles DHI setup, but it didn't seem like the right choice for the slower classes w/one-way. I think I need to reevaluate my approach to car setup for these slower classes. I'd really like to see what Brian Lutz came up with as well, his car seemed to come alive in the main.

I ended up in neverland in 13.5, and 4th overall in 17.5 amateur. The car was much happier in 17.5, and the speeds a bit more manageable for my level. I guess that's decent for my first big race. I have a lot to work on, though.

I was at the same table as the TRF team, and watched them work from a distance. It was a real treat to see how well they operated, and tried new things. Marc's car was absolutely phenomenal in the main. I expected a closer run after Paul TQ'd the class, but whatever they did overnight (I hear they built a new kit), it really worked. If not for a bobble, Marc would have checked out by several seconds over Viktor and Paul.

They made a lot of progress with the car on foams (using LiPo!) over the course of the weekend, but all broke in the main. Paul was untouchable, though, so I don't think it would have mattered. Still, most of them out qualified US drivers that seem to specialize in foam, and use purpose-built cars for that class. I thought what they did there was very impressive as well.
that is something i definitely want to see... TRF coming to work together. who cares about foam? IFMAR Championship is on rubber but it is good to see Tamiya catering to the foam crowd.

hopefully i can attend the REEDY race and see TRF in action.

cant wait to race again. try the new 2.5mm lower deck with my the PPD lipo tray.