R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - nitro knowledge???
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2008, 11:24 AM
cheesewhip
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default 21 or 28

every track i've been to, truggy class had no restrictions on the size of the engine. it was pretty much whatever you bring. I've seen os vspec .21 run in the same class as a surefire .32 and collari .32. in buggy class nothing above a .21 is allowed, but you really don't need anything more than a competition class .21 when you race buggies. truggies, as long as you and the car can handle it, .28 seems to be the magic spot.

what it comes down to is how you drive and what the track is like as the guy above stated. if you like blipping the throttle a lot for no reason when you run your car, full throttling every chance you get, you may need the .21 to help control your impulses and help make your truggy more controllable. i have seen many people's lap times drop when they drop in power or drive slower. jumping from a .21 to .28 is a big difference in power (as long as we are talking about competition engines. rtr engines or cheaper engines are far slower) and you can have such thing as too much power. too much power will make your car more difficult to drive and wear your car out faster... but if you have the skills to handle the additional power, more power to you. I would say start with a good competition .21, and as your driving skills improve, move to the .28.

oh yeah, make sure the track is big enough for your truggy to take advantage of the extra power of .28 as well. for instance, if the track is behind a shop and has a foot print of a suburban front yard, .21 has enough power to get you around a track.

Last edited by cheesewhip; 08-29-2008 at 11:25 AM. Reason: edit