R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - New Losi 1:8 buggy next year?? word is yes..
Old 08-22-2008, 08:15 AM
Edumakated
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

[QUOTE=jabroni racing;4763956]
Originally Posted by Edumakated
Most places let the electric conversions run with the nitros if there aren't enough conversions for a seperate class. All we do is take a simulated pit stop. I did a 30 minute A-Main with a battery swap. Time it took is about the same as coming in for several pit stops.

This can was opened so here is my observation running the brushless 1/8 with nitro..
Basically you take the whole tunning aspect out of the equasion, which is part of Nitro..once you get your gearing rite in electric, your done, nitro, your tunning your car to get the motor rite, or tunning the clutch for punch and feel, electric you dont do any of that.. I dont feel its a fair shake to run them both together. Anyone that ran electric knows you dont have any lag in power, from bottum to top.. On the club seen, i think its fine, but any races above that i thinks its a unfair advantage over the nitro guy..
I can't argue with that. However, I find it funny many (not saying you personally) nitro guys will call us Flashlights, Slot Cars, Toys, UNTIL we race with them and then they whine about the advantage.

In my experience, the advantage is not that great enough to eclipse overall driving skills. One of the problems electrics have is CONTROLLING the massive torque. It causes you to spin out easily or over jump. It requires a lot more finesse and an entirely different driving style. I would be curious if pro drivers can turn faster laps with an electric though. My skills aren't good enough to really take advantage of it.

I guess tuning can be considered part of a nitro race, but many of us just want to drive. Flameouts and the like are just the car breaking in IMHO. I want to race, not wrench on the car. Although, electrics do have issues such as thermaling and motors over heating (I had a $250 Neu motor go up in smoke last weekend 30 seconds from the end of a main while I was in second).

Most of us "tune" our cars to run with nitros, not beat them. All that power and speed is useless if you can't control the car. In most cases, my top end is no faster than the nitros, but I do accelerate much faster.

I look forward to having an all electric class though. it is fun racing with nitros, but it can be difficult because you can't hear the car, so it is hard to gauge the RPMs of the motor and how the car is running. I turn much faster laps with all electrics for this reason. With nitros, it is kind of like playing a video game with the sound off.