R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - INFERNO GT RACING @ SV SPEEDWAY AUG. 2
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2008, 04:45 PM
Jspeed
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by duneland
When forming the class, many were very adamant about keeping foam tires out. It is seen as a more expensive route. I am not convinced this is true, but I am OK with the rubber tire only rule. With the right insert/tire combo, you can get many race days on a set, and grip is good enough for the power levels. Even though higher performance levels are possible with the foam tires, the GT will not be close to the performance level of a 1/8 circuit car or a 1/10 TC. So why try? I say, keep it simple and as cheap as possible.
Ron,

I can see foams getting very expensive. Dune, how many 55 gallon drums (trash cans) full of foams do you see or have you seen after a weekend of racing?

Now picture this..... guy shows up for a race like this past GLC right?

He's got a GT car, a tire truer and deep pockets, a 50% deal or a friend in the tire biz, OK? Then this guy "trues" is tires down to a pre-determined size to last each qualifier. Every qualifier he's got a new set of foams to use. So at the GLC you ran how many qualifiers, 5 right?

Then here comes "Jonny Privateer" one set of foams and he thinks he can run with "Mr. I got a friend in the tire biz". "Mr. Privateer" get blown away because he's running an "untrued" foam tire that's like what 95mm tall. His car is "herky-jerky" all over the track.

So as far as cost.... how can 1 or even 2 sets of rubber tires for a race weekend ever cost more than a hand full of foams and yea..... a new tire truer too?

Think about that next time you see a trash can full of the day's foams.