R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - The Future of RC Racing (Your Opinions)
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2008, 10:31 AM
Cain
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Well, based on my experiences, I see the future of RC moving away from traditional 1/10 scale sized vehicles like a T4 or B4 for outdoor tracks, and move towards 1/8 scale electric based vehicles or similar sized ones (like the slash) because of there scale looks.

The whole 1/10 scale thing I believe is based on the fact that a lot of tracks now cater to a 1/8 scale set, and this just does not lend itself keeping the 1/10 scale vehicles in one piece other than driving over jumps which gets old really quick. I can see them however for indoors doing well, as you only have some much space then.

As for my belief in 1/8 scale offroad electric vehicles, I use my experiences and the comments I have been hearing from racers. For me, I liked pretty much everything about my first real 1/8 scale buggy, other than the nitro specific components. Regardless of what anyone says, even when you get to be an excellent tuner, I still have seen those very guys have issues with there engines that can be stumpers till they go through there routine of process elimination. If they have to do that and can be stumped, a regular guy without that assistance from them is pretty much lost at times.

That was me for awhile. I researched for some time on the engine to go with that was reliable for a beginner, tips on what to do, etc. And when it came time, the car would fire good when practicing, but then it was a no go for racing. Then you have the little things like clutch springs, shoes, fuel line issues, tanks, etc. that creep up at the worst time.

It got the point I was basically about done with RC since that is the pretty much the main classes out there are 1/8. but when I saw the conversions for the first time, that got me back in.

After owning my first MBX5 conversion, I was hooked. Simple plug and go. If i plug and it don't go, it pretty easy to determine where the issue is. With lipo, no more having to carry a warchest of NIMHs (for electric 1/10s) or a fuel bottle, starter box, etc. Just 1 battery was all I needed to use for the 3 5 minute qualifiers and a 20 minute main. Works out to even less batteries than a nitro 1/8 scale buggy requires (starter box, receiver pack..)

Handling was right on, and the power of a brushless setup is amazing.

Costs are pretty comparable too for starting out with a conversion as well:

http://www.tony1034.com/ts/EMBX5R/Ni...MBX5R_cost.htm

People will say you need the 250 neu motor, that isn't true anymore. There is a viable option in the medusa 2000Kv motor 60mm V2 version. and its only $120 if you add the heatshink. Or, soon get the Castle Creations MMM with motor combo for about $270 or use the Novak HV pro if thats your thing. compared to the cost of a racing nitro engine, you are very comparable.

And now with Caster racing bringing out a buggy that is electric from the ground up, you remove the conversion cost.

Electric has the chance to be cheaper than nitro upfront.

Do I think nitro will be around in the future, sure. There are people who will continue to run them for a long time. Sort of like a lot of MT guys who still run them in a field full of truggies. But, there are also a lot of guys who will convert once they see some off the shelf kits available. And when a RTR version is finally made, WATCH OUT.

A lot of the comments from guys who have run my brushless vehicles and are really hardcore nitro racers like the fact that you get all the scale benefits, and eliminate the main hassle, the nitro engine.