R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Glow Plug Choice/Humidity %
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2008, 06:28 PM
NEMESIS44
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Glow Plug Choice/Humidity %

I was recently told by a veteran that the higher the humidity is the hotter the plug I should use. He basically summed it up like this.

60% Humidity(or below) Cold Plug
60-80% Humidity Medium Plug
80% and above Hot Plug

For the last two months my brother and I have had no heat problems. He runs a medium standard plug in his Losi 427 and I run a hot Novarossi C5 Turbo Plug in my Nova Plus 21-7. We live in Mississippi so humidity is usually very high. Last night humidity was very high due to rain early in the day with high temps in the evening. It wasn't extremely hot outside but very muggy. Both of us fought high temps from our engines all night.
My brother went off of what we were told about plugs and tried a hotter plug and saw no difference. I read in the GRP manual that the hotter it is outside the colder the plug you need, just like in a 4 cycle. Generally in Mississippi the hotter it is outside, the higher the humidity but other places like Cal. or the Midwest that isn't always true right? Dry heat?
So, please someone explain to the general rule of thumb with outside temp.and humidity in relation to plug choice.