R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Losi 8 or Xray 808
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2008, 12:22 PM
Inside_Line
Tech Apprentice

I figured this debate would start here eventually... so here goes...

For starters, I have owned and raced both Losi 8 & the Xray XB808 in expert class racing. I believe both are great designs, but the Xray is hands down the quality winner. Also the buggy is almost a 1/2 pound lighter than the Losi, thats huge in scale terms.

The Pros of the Xray XB808:
- Handling 10 out of 10, its amazing how this thing holds corner speed!
- Lighter and stronger, its so light it wont even beat itself to death in a crash
- Lighter, so it turns better with less weight pushing it out in a corner
- Lighter, it needs less run up to clear jumps
- Lighter, it accelerates quicker out of corners
- Lighter, it stops faster
- Extreme top quality metals, plastics and design
- Much cheaper to run in the long run because you need almost no parts
- Higher traction than any other buggy, you will dominate in loose conditions
- Perfect completely stock no hop-ups needed at all

The Cons of the Xray XB808:
- The initial purchase price is a bit higher than a Losi
- Any parts you want to stock will probably have to be ordered online
- Bulkhead bearing must be maintained often, every 2-3 gallons..

In summary the XB808 is the newest lightest and best built race buggy on the market... Period! My consistency and lap times have both improved since I started running this buggy. In fact, last Saturday night I TQ'd and lapped the field in my Expert buggy A-main, and I haven't done that in years!!! You can do things with the XB808 that you cant do with others, due to the weight and traction advantage.

Now on to the Losi....
The pros of the Losi:
- Good design... centerline and forward weight balance perfect for US tracks
- Great parts availability
- Great price on the race roller, I found it for $429.99 with free shipping at Airland Hobbies... here: http://www.airlandhobbies.com/catalo...7280178984.htm
- Descent plastics and metals, however you will wear out 2 Losi's to 1 Xray
- Fairly light in comparison to older designs such as the Mugen MBX5 or K car

The Cons of the Losi:
- Servo tray setup is very difficult, you will need to stock 2 extra servos $$$
(I personally burned 5 throttle servos out in 4 months while learning how to setup the servo tray. Losi knows there is a problem and refuses to fix it. This is forcing many to go broke, quit RC racing, or move to another buggy. I believe this is hurting the Racing hobby by letting new racers pump hundreds of extra dollars into their Losi buggy)
- Wear on the steering rack is heavy and needs constant replacement
- Chassis, shocks, and diff cups take a gallon to break-in and work properly

Well thats it... I know some will disagree about the servo issue but the majority of Losi 8 owners know what I'm talking about. If your the "one", who never had a servo problem... props to you! It will happen just wait...

Also Xray put more buggies in the Worlds warm-up A-main race last week than any other team. Ohh, and they had one of the smallest teams competing with less of a chance statistically. So it really speaks to the advantage the new XB808 has.

If you haven't owned both,.... well don't tell us how great the one you have is, because you haven't fairly compared the two.

Piece...

Sorry about the light, lighter than light remarks,... but it matters. Yes other design elements on the Xray are also very nice!