R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Ok, next trick - Exhaust manifold
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2008, 09:06 AM
clarksib
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TC3ElectricGuy
thanks clarksib, that info was useful and once i got that rubber grommet into the manifold it all but slid on.. what a pain in the a$$ though.

ok, my next delema... that spring that wraps around the engine... do i just need brute force and a set of pliers to get it from 1 side to the other..

anyone got any little tricks for this one ..

thanks for your help so far.
No problem, im glad it helped.

For the springs. They are a pain but can be done. Make sure you have a pair of needle nose pliers with the small serated(sp?) teeth on them. Place your car on the table so the exhaust pipe is facing you. Manually insert one end of the spring into the hole on the header that is on the opposite side of your engine from the exhaust pipe. Route the spring by hand under the head as low as possible around the crankcase until you have enough tension on it that it becomes tough to hold. Now take your needle nose plyers and grip the curved hook of the spring just below where it starts to curve. Make sure you have your pliers at a 45 degree angle from the spring so multiple teeth can grip it. Then grip extremely tightly with your right hand and use your left hand to guide the tip of the hook into position. It is crucial to grip the spring very tightly as you do not want it to slip out of the pliers under tension. It can hit you or tear fuel lines/carb boot.

Im sorry if this is a novel about something seamingly simple but that it the way it should be done to a T.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you still have problems.