R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - RB S3 L2G ?
Thread: RB S3 L2G ?
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2008, 05:42 PM
vladconnery
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CarCrazy
I have one of those L2G S3's and have successfully podium'ed in expert buggy with mine. All the power is usable, very nice for the price.

I've run a JP-1, JP-2 and JP-3 on this motor, and liked the JP-3 the best.

Also this motor can be easily be "upgraded" to create way.. way... more power.

1. Exchange the crank for an S5 crank. (it has a turbo cut in the crank)

2. Port the intakes on the sleeve to gain additional top end and run time.

3. Run an RB #5 glow plug or a medium hot plug instead of the medium #6 plug once ported.

Some would sat "just buy an S5".... nope,.... the combo of the ported three-port with the turbo cut crank outperforms the S5. The three port is the key! Look for a deal online for an S5 crank, and pop that sucker in.... I found my S5 crank brand new on ebay for $40.00, paid $180.00 for the S3, and now I have a $220.00 screaming fast motor!

UndergroundRC.com has a porting video of how-to-port, its not even that hard and takes only 10 minutes!
Now thats some serious info thanks. Not to mention I've heard of something like that before with this engine. What temp do you run yours at? Do you notice it seems to wake up at a certain temp? Some say this motor likes it hot. I've been hearing running it between 260-275 is optimum. I always think if your running it at this temp its going to spike at 300 on a good run. Maybe I'm just scared I like the engine so much don't want to hurt it. First engine I ever had that would literally idle while I refilled the nitro bottle. Put every thing away filler up and keep going. Not to mention the idle is insanely low.