R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - ROAR Nats gripe
Thread: ROAR Nats gripe
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2008, 10:50 AM
C Branch
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SCIDA
I started in Electric. And there were seperate classes. They were 4whl Mod, 2whl Mod and 2whl Stock. I went to my first Nats in 1988 and was in the O in Stock and the R in Modified. The mains went all the way down to I think the FF or GG not sure but was alot. Over the next year I practiced as much as possible and was 2nd qualy in the B in Mod and Won the Stock A main with 620 total entries in 3 classes.

Now adays everyone wants special classes so that they can win something. The only way I got better was racing against Cliff Lett, Jay Halsey, Jack Johnson, Mark Pavidis, Rick Hohwart, Gil Losi to name a few.

I remember this kid that started racing in Monster Truck class and he wanted to know how to get better. I started helping him out as much as possible. I told him you have to race against the best and not just in the Novice classes. I told him to step up and run in either stock or modified. I gave him my extra motors and tires that were used and used parts to fix his cars. I helped him to learn how to work on his cars and learn how to set them up. He eventually got better and just raced modified. And now Brian Kinwald is one of the best drivers in the history of our Hobby just by practicing and wanting to be better than anyone else.

If you wanna be good at something the only way to get better is to practice, practice, practice. When I was an Indycar mechanic we practiced pitstops at the shop everday. Then we did them at the track. So when it came down to crunch time for the race it was actually easy.

So everyone quit your whinning and start practicing.

I used to use springs from other companies on my RC10 and I used to modify my chassis. Some things that no one else did. I also used parts that weren't made anymore should I not be able to use those parts now just because you can't get them?

Ask yourselves what you are actually whinning about? You're not as good as you thought you were is what it boils down to. There probably wasn't a set up sheet that you could download to get the right set up for the rough track. Figure it out for yourself.

Just my 169 cents worth.
Steve Chamberlain
Well said!!