R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - ALTOONA RACEWAY FORUM
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2008, 01:16 PM
thewholeyearinn
Tech Adept

MOOOOGEN.

Scott Hughes 4th in the roar nats a main, first big race for hughes in almost a year, not too dusty for the over-the-hill, out of date, can't compete Mugen Mbx5r.

Truhe jumped the start to cheat his way into first and because roar insists on using a lemans start there was a huge pile up in the first turn that took most of the top contenders out of the race in less than 5 seconds (cavaleri included). that is awesome, spend two whole days qualifying for what, to have a huge pile up in the first turn that is bound to cost someone any chance to be competitive at all.

1st place at atloona raceway this past weekend for the Mugenator!!! MBX5R rules. losi and associated

electric 1/8th scale is not better than nitro and some serious work needs to be done to get the cost and technical issues overcome. large b/l motor+ 2x large capacity lipos + lipo charger + large capacity lipo speedo = big $$ you could have a the most expensive .21 and header and pipe and a starter box setup for the same if not slightly less than two giant lipos, a giant b/l lipo speedo and a giant b/l motor. overheating, runtime, fans/reliability issues all need to be overcome. yes I know many people whine about nitro reliability, it just takes a little patience, a little touch, and a little glow plug and clutch inexpensive common sense maintenance.

Anyway, should be interesting to see where losi takes 1/8th electric, just what the RC sport needs, more classes. I'm sure it will be less than a year until they have a sport model with a queer body gimmic and KC daylighters that actually light up.

check out the editorial on page 72 of the latest extreme rc car mag, talks about dynos, b/l motor tuning tools, and hand-out b/l motors being used at big races - wow, amazing what all of this technology has accomplished - exactly nothing in electric racing, same issues as 20 years ago, motor tuning (or flat out cheating), and a "who can spend more on batteries" bonanza. Not that way in nitro, two weeks ago, mcghee beat me (a once in a lifetime chance for AE to beat mugen ) he's running a $150 novarossi 3 port, i was using a $500 os speed mag head, didn't matter, mcghee got the W. cudos to mcghee. Oh yeah, he's also just better than me, lol.

speaking of electric racing, my b44 is primed, painted and weight and ready to kick some A$$, bring it on electric boys, i'm not afraid to swim in your pond even though your all afraid to dip a toe in the nitro ocean

I just love controversy.

Anyway the real reason I got on here was to tell BRAD BLONTZ - I put your seals and o rings in the order, should be here wed or thurs. call me if you want to practice this week.