R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TC3 Forum
Thread: TC3 Forum
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2001, 05:02 PM
Airwide
Tech Adept

Overgear, I'm thinking of posting an article on my homepage about how I build my diffs. But I guess that might take some time so I will explain here.

1. If you rebuild your diff, first clean all parts.

2. Take a 1200 sandpaper and sand one face of each diff rings. The sanded side should face towards the diff balls and not as Course-R recommends(no pun intended), towards the hubs. I can't understand how that helps since the rings can't slip against the hubs anyway due to the d shaped rings.

3. Complete the assembly according to the instructions.

4. When you have bottomed out the spring, there are two ways to get the right setting. Either do per instructions, and check the setting after 1-3 runs OR back off only 1/4 turn. This way the diff will be a bit tight to begin with, but it will get right after a few runs.

The good thing about sanding the rings are that you can run the diff looser without slippage and that you can reuse old rings over and over again. Just sand them until you have got rid of the groove from the balls.

With this technique I have managed 150+ runs without a need to rebuid the diffs.

Anyone else using this sandpaper technique?

Last edited by Airwide; 12-10-2001 at 05:04 PM.