R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 300 for a .21 What are you buying
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2008, 10:12 PM
wes95_z28
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pracy
dyno's are not just bragging rights. I must ask, how do you set and develop you ignition curves on your marine motors if you dont use a dyno? by feel?

ignition curve
AF ratio (airfuel)
torque curve
clutch engagement or torque converter
varibles between different engine parts using previous set points includ AF ratio

these are just a couple things the dyno can do, which you can not by feel. you might think you can but you cant beat a computer doing the maths for you.

sorry to chime in but I have used and sometimes not used dyno's for years now and spent more money then most of big horsepower engines. I can say the dyno is very useful in developing the combinations. once its sorted, well yes then its just bragging rights... my 2c.
Lake testing, real world testing. Not sitting on a damn dyno. In no way shape or form can you recreate real world senarios on a dyno. We start off with what we know is a rich tune and a safe ignition advance timing. Then we use our ass dyno on the lake to obtain optimum performance. Hate to tell you guys that that is always the way top fuel dragsters are done as well as nascar and everyone else. 90% of the info they get is done on the track. Not on a dyno.