R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Quick Ace servo question
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2008, 04:52 PM
TRArena
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by new to rc cars
How do you blow a servo via your radio?

I got this servo off ebay, it came in a package with other servos and a sr3000 receiver.

Im having a few problems with my Hitec 625, it seems weak, it doesnt turn the wheels as much as i would like it to. and the damn servo arm keeps stripping. and it doesnt return to perfect center.

I think Im still a little confused about the parts.

What are these parts called?
1. you can blow servos via radio by having EPA (end point adjustments) set incorrectly. This means that your servo may be working overtime even tho mechanically the (e.g steering) has reached full lock. Also if you leave your receiver pack turned on for a prolonged period after you have turned your transmitter off, the failsafe settings may kick in and cause servos to slowly die - golden rule - transmitter on first and off last.

2. if you are stripping servo arms check the following -
(i) you are using the correct servo arm (i.e the spline count is correct). Often you will notice a "J", "F" or "H" stamped on the servo arm to indicate if it is for a JR, Futaba or Hitec spline)
(ii) check your servo saver is not set too tight (you should be able to 'break' the arms apart with your fingers - do this with the radio gear off!)
(iii) use aluminium servo arms (and not the aluminium arms with the plastic inserts!)

3. the Hitec 625 only has around 100 oz / inch of torque at 6V - if you want fast, powerful steering look at an ACE1015 (200oz / inch .10 sec travel at 6V) or I have seen buggy's run with the ACE 1313 for steering (180oz / inch)

4. the first pic is of the spline, the second is known as the steering servo arm or steering servo rod and the plastic bits at the end are the steering servo rod ends.