R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Engine tuning
Thread: Engine tuning
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2008, 12:53 AM
Mike Elam
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

here are a few suggestions I would do. First if you know the stock settings I would put it all back to stock. If not then maybe on the Traxxas site they have the stock settings. What I mean by stock is for instance, on my engine stock is 3.5 turns out on High and 5 turns out on bottom (lowend). It is good to know because stock settings are always rich enough to not hurt the engine. get your idle screw set by getting around a half to 1mm space in the carb when throttle is fully closed. Then try and start it. You may have to lean on the highend needle some to get it to run but only make small turns. Most guys treat the needles like a clock. 12 hours full rotation. and in tuning moving an hour or 2 at a time is plenty. I know it is a traxxas engine but if you go to RBconcepts website they have a forum and good info on there as well that could help you. Another good piece of info to remember is the high end needle is the main needle. so if you lean it out you also lean the bottom out. same if you richen it you richen the bottom. So make adjustments to the top before the bottom. Goodluck